Taking A Closer Look At Autoimmune Diseases
The mobile - optimized version of this page is available. To get the full affect of this website it is recommended that you view it on a laptop, or desktop computer.
Continued From The R. A. A. I. D. Home Page. To get more specific information go to The R.A.A.I.D. Bibliography Page. Click For More Information
The word "auto" is the Greek word for self. The immune system is a complicated network of cells and cell components (called molecules) that normally work to defend the body and eliminate infections caused by bacteria, viruses, and other invading microbes. If a person has an autoimmune disease, the immune system mistakenly attacks itself. The immune system targets healthy cells, tissues, and organs of a person's own body. A collection of immune system cells and molecules at a target site is broadly referred to as inflammation.
The immune (pronounced: ih-myoon) system, which is made up of special cells, proteins, tissues, and organs, defends people against germs and microorganisms every day. In some cases, the immune system does a fairly good job of protecting the body, and preventing infections. There are times when problems occur within the immune system. This can lead to illness and infection. The Immune System is the body's personal defense mechanism against infectious organisms, viruses, and other invaders. Through a process called the immune response, the immune system can attacks organisms, and other invaders that enter our systems and cause disease.
In the last twenty years, the average American’s sugar intake has gone up from 26 pounds per person, per year to 135 pounds of sugar per person, per year. With this massive increase of sugar into the bloodstreams of Americans, diseases like Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Cardiovascular, and Cancer are rapidly growing out of control. Furthermore, research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that the amount of sugar consumed in two sweetened drinks lowers the immune system by 50 percent for up to five hours after drinking or eating. Sugar is the number one factor that limits the ability of white blood cells to fight viral and bacterial invaders. It also has the ability to suppress the immune system’s efforts to fight off infections, sickness, and disease.
Men Women & Autoimmune Diseases
It has been estimated that autoimmune diseases are more common in women. It should also be noted that these women are of childbearing age. Autoimmune disease is one of the leading causes of death and disability in young women and children. The numbers are high for women 65 years of age and younger. 75% of the people living with autoimmune diseases are female. As for the other 25 %, men rank lower than women. This is not to say men are immune, as the numbers for men are growing each year. It is not clear why they are more prevalent in women, there are a number of theories.
Some researchers believe women are more susceptible to developing autoimmune diseases. One reason why they believe this is based on how sophisticated the female immune system is. A females inflammatory responses tend to be higher than men. Especially when their immune systems are triggered. Inflammation is dominant in many diseases. Another possible theory has to do with hormonal differences. Many autoimmune diseases tend to flare up with female hormonal fluctuations. During pregnancy, the menstrual cycle, and oral contraception are a few examples of this.
There are some scientists who believe that women, who have two X chromosomes in contrast to men’s X / Y chromosome, are genetically engineered to have certain autoimmune diseases. Some evidence that defects in the X chromosome can lead to certain diseases. There is also some evidence that fetal cells can remain active in a woman's body for a number of years after a pregnancy. These fetal cells may be involved in the developmental problems that tend to worsen in the growth of certain auto - immune diseases.
Flare Ups &
such as Guillain-Barre
Anti - Phospholipid Syndrome
Vasculitides such as
Primary Billiary Cirrhosis
Type 1 or Immune Mediated
Autoimmune Oophoritis and
Autoimmune Disease of
the Adrenal Glands
Info Provided By: http://www.cidpusa.org/autoimmune%20diseases.html
Home Autoimmune Disease Treatment Medical Terms Awareness Calendar Food Survey RSS Feeds Dictionary Site Policies